A post on Lorelle’s blog caught my eye yesterday afternoon: Under the Hood Spring Cleaning and got me thinking about the amount of clutter I could have on this blog, all the stuff that you don’t get to see, like dust above the doorjamb. It suddenly occurred to me that every single post I write has a number of revisions stored, both the autosave revisions and those where I’ve written, saved to take a break or saved to see what the whole thing looks like before publishing. They don’t disappear automatically when you publish, they are there for all time and, believe me, that is a whole mess of storage space they’re taking up.
I know how much it is because I went over to WordPress.org and took a look at a few of the plug-ins available to see what might work for me. The codex document referred to WordPress v 2.6 and is hopelessly out of date.The first I found hadn’t been updated for over two years – an article on abandoned orphan plug-ins awaiting adoption could have brought me the idea to check earlier, but I was reading the meat of the article and not the reason behind it! – and the second, which I downloaded to test, is pretty useless since it requires manual action. With over one thousand four hundred posts here I am not going to do it manually!
Looking further I found a plug-in to optimize the database after revision deletions – which suggests at first glance that you need to delete them all first and then clean up, but that isn’t so – and gave it a go too. The result came as a real surprise to me. If you can imagine it, up to six revisions on each post are saved – it can be more depending on what you write and how you work – and all there in the database. Now multiply that by one thousand four hundred. You get the idea.
Now, my basic database – not the amount of space I use on the server – is roughly thirty-five MB. That might not seem to be a great deal, and I cannot imagine it slows everything down all that much – at least, not so that you would notice – but it is there and it doesn’t need to be. I set this new plug-in up and, fingers crossed, ran the optimization (enough people had commented on the WordPress site that it works and I do have a back-up of everything!).
My basic database size is now a little over eight MB. The clutter was twenty-six point six MB in size. That is a lot of dust above the doorjamb! And I can set it to automatically optimize the database at regular intervals plus, a good bonus, it removes revisions after publishing of the final version (or I can keep the last revision if I wish). For anyone with limited space or not on their own server, a great WordPress bonus which you can download here.
Love & Kisses, Viki.